Experience the essence of an "Olde Time Christmas" at Downtown Brooklin's Christmas in the Village. The weekend of events begins on Friday evening at Grass Park at 6:00 p.m. Santa, his reindeer and friends help light the Christmas tree.
- Date and time:
Friday, November 25, 2016
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
This event is free to attend.
- Enjoy candlelight caroling
- Seasonal entertainment sponsored by Trafalgar Castle School
- Crafts and activities sponsored by local businesses
- Old fashioned horse and wagon ride - sponsored in part by the Brooklin Optimist Club.
- Christmas shopping at one of our unique shops in Downtown Brooklin
- Warm up and join the United Church Choir Carol sing
- Christmas Craft and Gift Show
- Hot chocolate and cookies provided by Brooklin Tim Hortons
- Salvation Army "Fill the Sleigh" annual Food and Toy Drive
- Group 74 and other community group activities planned throughout the weekend
Accessing the Event
Road closures: Christmas in the Village is a pedestrian focused event, as such, section of Cassels Road East, Durham Street and Roebuck Street will be closed to through-traffic. Safety is of concern as event attendees are primarily families with children young children; this extension will assist with pedestrian safety.
The event runs from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., however road closures will be in place before the event to allow for set-up.
2:00 p.m. - partial closure
- Cassels Road East (Baldwin Street to Princess Street)
- Roebuck Street (Baldwin to the Bryson Insurance Parking Lot - lot entrance will be open)
- Durham Street
4:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. - full closure
- Cassels Road East (Baldwin Street to Church Street)
- Roebuck Street - parking lot entrance closed - Baldwin Street access open
- Durham Street
Active Transportation and parking: Residents are encouraged to walk, bike or use other forms of active transportation to access Christmas in the Village.
Limited parking is available in the following lots:
- Downtown Brooklin municipal parking lot (3 Vipond Road)
- Brooklin Community Centre and Library (8 Vipond Road)
- Brooklin Memorial Park (access off St. Thomas Street)
On-street parking is available in Downtown Brooklin - please obey all parking signs and by-laws.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this event accessible?
Yes. Christmas in the village is an outdoor event, taking place in Downtown Brooklin, and in and around Grass Park.
- Can I bring my dog?
Yes, dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash, under control of their owner and owner's pick-up after them.
- Are there shuttle buses/transportation for the event?
No. Christmas in the Village is pedestrian focused and event goers are encouraged to use active transportation to access the event.
- Volunteer Opportunities
Information about the many volunteer opportunities at all Town of Whitby events can be found on our Volunteers page.
- Sponsorship Opportunities
Aspects of most Town of Whitby events are sponsored by local businesses and community organizations. To find out how your organization can contribute to Christmas in the Village please contact the Sustainability, Heritage, Downtowns and Community Development office by email or phone 905.430.4306.
Christmas in the Village is an annual celebration held on the last Friday in November. Check back for the 2017 date.
Sustainability, Heritage, Downtowns and Community Development office by email or phone 905.430.4306.