Whitby Town Council - 2010 to 2014 Term
Front row (L to R): Councillor Derrick Gleed (North Ward 1), Pat Perkins (Retired Mayor), Regional Councillor Lorne Coe.
Back row (L to R): Regional Councillor Joe Drumm, Deputy Mayor Don Mitchell, Councillor Michael Emm (Centre Ward 3), Councillor Ken Montague (East Ward 4), Councillor Elizabeth Roy (West Ward 2).
Whitby Town Council
Town Council is the governing body for the Town of Whitby with eight members elected by the residents of Whitby for a four-year term of office through the municipal election process. The Mayor and three Regional Councillors are elected at large. The four remaining Councillors are elected by the four Wards: North, West, Centre, and East.
Council conducts its business using the Standing Committee System. The Standing Committees offer policy and operational recommendations to Council on an ongoing basis. Decisions of Council require support from a majority of the members present at a meeting. In certain cases, the consent of two-thirds (2/3) of all members of Council is required. Council must have at least five (5) members present to conduct its business.
Council is the legislated governing body for the municipality. Elected Councillors are responsible for:
- Setting policy direction for the Town
- Authorizing revenues/expenditures to provide Whitby residents with municipal services that meet the needs and expectations of the community
- Reviewing land use and development issues
Role/Duties of Mayor
The Mayor, as Head of Council, is the Council spokesperson and is responsible for the following additional duties as specified in the Municipal Act, 2001 s. 225:
- To act as chief executive officer of the municipality
- To preside over Council meetings
- To provide leadership to Council
- To provide information and recommendations to Council with respect to their role regarding procedures, accountability, and transparency
- To represent the municipality at official functions
- To carry out the duties of the head of Council under this or any other act
Role/Duties of Council
As specified in the Municipal Act, s. 224, the role of Council is as follows:
- To represent the public and to consider the well-being and interests of the municipality
- To develop and evaluate the policies and programs of the municipality
- To determine which services the municipality provides
- To ensure administrative practices and procedures are in place to implement the decisions of Council
- To ensure the accountability and transparency of the operations of the municipality including the activities of senior management of the municipality
- To maintain the financial integrity of the municipality
- To carry out the duties of Council under this or any other act