Join us for this free, annual one-day event that showcases the buildings, history, natural spaces, infrastructure, cultural landscapes and people that shape and define the communities of Brooklin and Whitby!
- Date and time:
Saturday, May 4, 2019
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
1855 - Whitby's New Innovation Accelerator – 400 Centre Street South
GO Transit Whitby Rail Maintenance Facility – 625 Victoria Street East
James Rowe House – 301 Front Street West
Kids Safety Village of Durham Region – 1129 Athol Street
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences – 700 Gordon Street West - Please register for Ontario Shores Expressive Arts Workshops by following the link. Seating is limited. http://www.ontarioshores.ca/doorsopen/
Spencer Community Centre – Archaeological Dig – 7230 Country Lane
Station Gallery – 1450 Henry Street
Trafalgar Castle School – 401 Reynolds Street
Vickery Electric – 601 Victoria Street East
W. Galen Weston Centre for Food, Bistro ’67, The Pantry – 1604 Champlain Avenue
Whitby Fire & Emergency Services - Training Facility – 111 McKinney Drive
Whitby Public Library – 405 Dundas Street West
Walking Tours to include:
Brooklin Heritage Walking Tour – 56 Baldwin Street - Presented in collaboration with Jane’s Walk and the Brooklin Heritage Society
Cranberry Marsh – Lynde Shores Conservation Area Walking Tour – Halls Road South Access Point (South of Victoria Street)
- 12 sites to visit and 2 guided walking tours, get your feet on the streets and discover something new in our community!
- Go behind the scenes of some of the most historically significant sites Whitby has to offer.
- Explore various historical locations and learn about the people and places that have helped shape Whitby and Brooklin
- Hear stories of our past that take us to present day
- Doors Open Whitby is a part of Doors Open Ontario; please visit their website to learn more about this province-wide event and to see the full list of participating communities
Doors Open Touring Tips
- View our brochure here or pick up a copy at any Town facility
- Visit our online map here
- Plan your trip in advance and account for travel time between sites
- Bring a camera to capture your adventures
- Tag us in your photos @TownOfWhitby and share on Facebook or Twitter with #WhitbyDoorsOpen
- Dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes
- Bring binoculars to get a good glimpse of birds and other wildlife
- Follow the Doors Open signs; they'll lead you where you need to go
- Ask questions! Site volunteers are happy to share their knowledge
- Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant or visit many of our great downtown shops
- Have fun!
Accessing the Event
Road Closures: None that we know will affect Doors Open
Driving: Please plan your trip accordingly using our map.
Parking: Residents are encouraged to use active transportation to access this event. Limited parking is available in the following lots: List of Downtown Lots
On-street parking is available - please obey all parking signs and by-laws.
Active Transportation: Residents are encouraged to walk, bike or use other forms of active transportation to access the various sites on Doors Open.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this event accessible?
|Some locations are accessible. Please see the legend in our brochure or check out our interactive map for the list of all participating accessible sites. You can also contact us by email email@example.com or by calling 905.430.4306 for further details.
Can I bring my dog?
|Dogs are welcome on outdoor walking tours as long as they are on a leash, under control of their owner and owner's pick-up after them. Please check the legend in our brochure or on our interactive map (hyperlink) for all dog-friendly sites.
Are there shuttle buses/transportation for the event?
|No. Doors Open Whitby is pedestrian-focused in some areas, and event-goers are encouraged to use active transportation to access the event. Residents can access the event using Durham Region Transit. You may find a car is helpful getting to and from sites that stretch from south Whitby, to north Brooklin.
What should I wear?
|Dress for the weather! Some of our sites include outdoors walking tours, while others take the tours indoors. No matter where you end up, you’ll definitely want to have on comfortable footwear as you explore the sites.
Does this event happen more than once a year?
| Doors Open Whitby takes place the first weekend in May annually, but if you’re eager to explore other Doors Open events across the province, Doors Open Ontario has the full list of participating communities and the dates when each take place.
Doors Open is heavily supported by our volunteers. If you’re passionate about local history, or have a penchant for talking to people, this event is for you! Information about the many volunteer opportunities at all Town of Whitby events can be found on our Volunteers page.
Thank You to our Sponsors
Event Title is Presented By:
Aspects of most Town of Whitby events are sponsored by local businesses and community organizations. To find out how your organization can contribute to Doors Open, please contact the Manager of Advertising and Sponsorship Sales via email or phone 905.430.4300 x7488.
Special Events Team by email or call 905.430.4306.