Join us for this one-day annual free event that explores the history and the people of Brooklin and Whitby!
- Date and time:
Saturday, May 5, 2018
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
This event is free to attend
Doors Open takes place at various sites across Whitby, view the complete list below or download the brochure.
|2018 Doors Open Sites
|Ringwood Manor now known as Complete Packaging
1601 Hopkins St.
(Front facing Victoria Street)
416 Centre Street,
Regal Room and Theatre
The Abilities Centre
55 Gordon St.
Gallery Dental Centre
1200 Brock St. S.
575 Rossland Rd. E.
Louis & Joanna Racic Private Home
504 Centre St. S.
360insights (formerly R.A. Sennett Public School)
300 King St.
1450 Henry St.
401 Reynolds St.
Lynde House Museum
900 Brock St. S, Whitby ON. L1N 4L6
Camp X Walking Tour at Intrepid Park
2008 Boundary Rd.
221 Kendalwood Road
Downtown Walking Tour (2 p.m.)
Starts at Celebration Square, Whitby Public Library
Heritage Walking Tour (10 a.m.)
Starts at Centennial Building (in partnership with Jane’s Walk)
Many sites will include activities and/or guided tours.
- Explore various historical locations and learn about the people and places that help to build Whitby and Brooklin.
- Hear stories of our past that take us to present day, and go behind the scenes of some of the most historically significant sites Whitby has to offer.
- 12 sites to visit and 2 guided walking tours, get your feet on the streets and discover something new in your community!
- Learn more about Doors Open Ontario
Doors Open Touring Tips
- Grab a brochure or use our online map: whitby.ca/doorsopenmap
- Plan your trip in advance and account for travel time between sites
- Bring a camera to capture your adventures
- Share your photos on Facebook or Twitter with #WhitbyDoorsOpen
- Dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes
- Bring binoculars to get a good glimpse of birds and other wildlife
- Follow the Doors Open signs, they'll lead you where you need to go
- Ask questions! Site volunteers are happy to share their knowledge
- Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant or buy a souvenir at a downtown shop
- Have fun!
Accessing the Event
Driving: Take exit 410 from highway 401, North on Brock Street. Sites run from the south at Boundary Road, past highway 407. See the map for full details.
Parking: Residents are encouraged to use active transportation to access this event. Limited parking is available in Town-owned lots which are free of charge on Saturdays. A list of lots can be found here.
On-street parking is available in Downtown Whitby and Brooklin - please obey all parking signs and by-laws.
Active Transportation: Residents are encouraged to walk, bike or use other forms of active transportation to access the site locations. This event is pedestrian focused in the condensed downtown areas.
Durham Region Transit: DRT route 302 Baldwin-Brock will take you within walking distance of most of the sites. More information on routes and trip planning is available on the Durham Region Trasnsit website.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this event accessible?
Some locations may be accessible. Please see our interactive map, brochure or contact us at 905.430.4306 for further details.
- Can I bring my dog?
No. Dogs are not permitted on Doors Open Whitby sites.
- Are there shuttle buses/transportation for the event?
No. Doors Open Whitby is pedestrian focused and event goers are encouraged to use active transportation to access the event.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Become a Doors Open Whitby Host Site
Please contact Corporate Communications, Special Events office by email or phone 905.430.4306 to find out how you can have your location featured.
Information about the many volunteer opportunities at all Town of Whitby events can be found on our Volunteers page.
Aspects of most Town of Whitby events are sponsored by local businesses and community organizations. To find out how your organization can contribute to Family Day please contact the Manager of Advertising and Sponsorship Sales by email or phone 905.430.4300 x7488.
Doors Open Whitby is an annual celebration that takes place on the first Saturday of May.
Corporate Communications, Special Events office by email or phone 905.430.4306.
The Doors Open Advisory Committee is appointed by Council and works with Planning Staff and Council to undertake the Annual Doors Open Whitby Event. Upcoming Meetings, Agenda Items and Minutes for the Committee's monthly meetings are found on the Town of Whitby Civic Web.