Whitby Seniors' Services is dedicated to keeping older adults engaged! If you're 55 years of age or older, consider joining a rich and vibrant social community and explore the endless possibilities of keeping an active, healthy lifestyle.
Whether you're interested in instructional classes, leisure programs, support services, or volunteer opportunities, Whitby Seniors' Services is sure to have something that's just right for you.
Mayor's Senior Volunteer Award
Each year the Mayor of Whitby recognizes the valuable contributions that seniors have made to our community, by presenting the Mayor's Senior Volunteer Award to an individual with outstanding commitment to community involvement through volunteering. The purpose of this program is to enhance the profile of senior volunteers within our community.
You are invited to nominate an individual for this award by completing the Mayor’s Senior Volunteer Nomination form, making sure to provide as much detail as possible. To qualify, the nominee must be a current resident of Whitby, 55 years of age or older and volunteer their time in any aspect of the community. Nominees do not have to be members of the Whitby Seniors’ Services to qualify. The nominations are judged based on volunteering at multiple organizations, the type of volunteer involvement and years of involvement.
The deadline for submission is Friday August 2, 2019 at 4:00 pm. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Waterhouse, Volunteer and Program Coordinator for the Town of Whitby, Seniors’ Services at 905.444.1771.
Seniors' Program Locations
Seniors' programs and services are offered at two conveniently located facilities.
Whitby Seniors' Activity Centre
801 Brock Street South
Brooklin Community Centre and Library
8 Vipond Road
Celebrate National Volunteer Week: April 7-13, 2019
The beautiful image of the hot air balloons of different sizes, shapes and colours reflects the diversity of community volunteers. It illustrates that when people volunteer together, the sky is the limit, in terms of what they can achieve.
From all of us at Whitby Seniors’ Services, we thank you for all that you do to make our programs and services very successful and we wish you a happy National Volunteer Week 2019!
What our volunteers are saying…..
Noreen – Whitby Seniors Activity Centre Front Desk
- I've been volunteering at WSAC for 25 years.
- I was asked to volunteer when WSAC was the “Little Red Brick House”
- I have met and made a lot of new friends.
Darlene - Seniors Supporting Seniors
- I have volunteered at WSAC for 13 years.
- Seniors Supporting Seniors was a new program that started by a government grant.
- I am blessed each week being able to come to do this program.
- I leave happy!
Ellen – Kitchen and Kozy Corner
- I have volunteered at WSAC and BCCL for 8 years.
- I enjoy the people and social side to volunteering.
Linda – Craft Group
- I have been volunteering for almost 15 years.
- The craft group ladies have made me feel welcome and happy.
- The ladies are wonderful and are my friends.
- They have helped me gain self-confidence.
Liz - Front Desk, Special Events and Scottish Country Dancing
- I have been volunteering at WSAC for 22 years.
- I just moved to Whitby and did not know anyone until I found WSAC.
- It is nice to be involved, I enjoy the people. There is seldom a dull moment.