Third-Party Advertisers



New for the 2018 Municipal Election

In accordance with Section 88.4 of the Municipal Elections Act, individuals, corporations or trade unions may register as a third party advertiser with the Town Clerk using the prescribed form.

Third party advertising refers to advertisements or other materials that support, promote or oppose a candidate. Third party in this context is a person or entity who is not a candidate.

Third party advertising is separate from any candidate's campaign, and must be done independently from a candidate. Any advertisements or materials that are made and distributed by a candidate, or under a candidate's direction, are part of the candidate's campaign.


Registrations may be filed between May 1, 2018 and October 19, 2018 during regular business hours (Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) at the Office of the Town Clerk. If a registration is submitted by an agent who is acting on behalf of an individual who wishes to register as a Third Party Advertiser, a letter must be provided at the time of registration which authorizes the agent to register on their behalf. The letter must be signed by the third party advertiser and commissioned or notarized by a person authorized under the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act or Notaries Act. In addition to this letter, an agent must also provide a copy of the third party advertiser's ID to be retained on file.

Third party advertisers are encouraged to book an appointment with the Office of the Town Clerk for submitting their registration.

Until the Town Clerk certifies your registration, you may not incur campaign expenses, accept contributions or begin advertising.

Who is Eligible to Register as a Third Party Advertiser?

  1. An individual who is normally resident in Ontario;
  2. A corporation that carries on business in Ontario; and
  3. A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.

Who is not permitted to register as a Third Party Advertiser?

  1. A candidate whose nomination has been filed with the Town Clerk;
  2. A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act (Canada) or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party;
  3. A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act; and,
  4. The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board.

Campaign Finance Contributions

The maximum contribution from a single contributor is $1,200 to a registered third party advertiser and $5,000 to two or more registered third party advertisers in a municipality.