In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (MEA), Town of Whitby Council is required to have a Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee to consider compliance audit applications with regard to Candidates' financial statements filed for the 2010 Municipal Election.
An elector, who is entitled to vote in an election for the offices of Mayor, Regional and Town Councillors and believes on reasonable grounds that a candidate for one of those offices has contravened a provision of the Municipal Elections Act relating to election campaign finances, may apply for a compliance audit of the candidate's election campaign finances. The application must be made to the Office of the Town Clerk, Town of Whitby, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, ON L1N 2M8 and must include the reasons for the applicant's belief that the candidate has contravened the Municipal Elections Act.
The application must be made within 90 days after the latest of:
- the filing date under section 78 of the Municipal Elections Act
- the candidate's supplementary filing date, if any, under section 78 of the Municipal Elections Act
- the filing date for the final financial statement under section 79.1 of the Municipal Elections Act
- the date on which the candidate's extension, if any, under subsection 80(4) of the Municipal Elections Act expires
An elector, who believes on reasonable grounds that a candidate for the office of School Board Trustee has contravened a provision of the Municipal Elections Act relating to election campaign finances, must make application to the secretary of the appropriate school board.
Note: If the auditor's report indicates that there was no apparent contravention of the Municipal Elections Act and the Compliance Audit Committee finds that there were no reasonable grounds for the application, Town Council or the local school board (for the Office of Trustee) is entitled to recover the auditor's cost from the applicant.
Links and Resources
- Compliance Audit Application Form (PDF, 162 kB)
- Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee - Appointment of Members (Attachment is Confidential and Under Separate Cover) (Refer to Corporate Services Report CS 59-10, to Council Monday, September 7, 2010. Ratified by Council September 7, 2010) (PDF, 282 kB)
- What does the Compliance Audit Committee Do? (PDF, 123 kB)
- Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee Report including Terms of Reference. (Corporate Services Report CS 37-10, to the Operations Committee May 25, 2010. Ratified by Council June 7, 2010) (PDF, 633 kB)
- FAQs for Electors - Compliance Audit Committee Process (PDF, 133 kB)
Members of the 2010 Compliance Audit Committee
- Gillian Burton
- Douglas Colbourne
- Ron Colucci