Official Plan Amendment 104, as approved by the Ontario Municipal Board
On January 24, 2018 the Ontario Municipal Board approved OPA 104 for the Port Whitby Community Secondary Plan.
Recommended Final Official Plan Amendment
Proposed Draft Secondary Plan Update, Urban Design Guidelines, and Community Improvement Plan
Please select from topics below to learn more about the Port Whitby Secondary Plan update, Urban Design Guidelines, and Community Improvement Plan
On June 27, 2011, Council endorsed, in principle, the Port Whitby Sustainable Community Plan and authorized staff to prepare Terms of Reference for consulting services for the review and update of the Port Whitby Secondary Plan and preparation of a Community Improvement Plan and Urban Design Guidelines for the Port Whitby Secondary Plan area.
(Please visit the Port Whitby Sustainable Community Plan website for more information regarding the previous study.)
One of the Sustainable Community Plan's many recommendations included developing a Terms of Reference for a comprehensive land use and urban design study for potential future (re)development of the Port Whitby area.
On February 13, 2012, Council endorsed the Terms of Reference and authorized Staff to prepare and issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) for consulting services for the new project.
On September 17, 2012, Council selected planningAlliance's proposal for the consulting services for this new Port Whitby project, consisting of three main components: a review and update of the Port Whitby Secondary Plan to determine appropriate land use policies; preparation of Urban Design Guidelines to clearly express the Town's expectations; and developing a Community Improvement Plan with a range of financial tools for implementation. This study will provide a policy and implementation framework for future (re)development in the area.
The consulting team for the project is being led by the firm of SvN (formally planningAlliance), supported by Arup, BA Group, Dougan and Associates, Meridian Planning Consultants, The Municipal Infrastructure Group and Unterman and Associates.
Project Phases and Current Status
The project work plan is divided into four phases:
- Phase 1: Background Study
- Phase 2: Alternative Land Use and Urban Design Concepts
- Phase 3: (3a) Secondary Plan, (3b) Community Improvement Plan and (3c) Urban Design Guidelines
- Phase 4: Final Recommended Official Plan Amendment(s)
The project is currently within Phase 3.
During the course of the project, Notices of public meetings and/or workshops will be placed in the local newspaper, on the Town's website and will be mailed to Interested Parties.
There are several options for providing your input:
Make a written submission and send it to the Town of Whitby by mail, fax or email. Please address the letter to the Town of Whitby Planning Department; include your name, address and postal code; and reference the File #: Port Whitby Plan OPA-2012-W/01 (Secondary Plan update) and OPA-2012-W/02 (Community Improvement Plan), in the subject line.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 905.668.7812
- Mail: Planning Department, Town of Whitby, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby Ontario, L1N 2M8
Public Meeting Submission
The Town of Whitby will hold Public Meetings regarding the Port Whitby Secondary Plan update, Urban Design Guidelines and Community Improvement Plan at key stages of the project. While we encourage the public to make written submission, any member of the public can provide verbal comment at these Public Meetings. Dates of upcoming Public Meetings will be advertised by Public Notice on this website, Public Notice in local newspapers, and by mail to registered Interested Parties.
NOTE: Use of Personal Information
Your personal information will be used for the purposes of sending correspondence relating to matters before Council. Your name, address, comments, and any other personal information is collected and maintained for the purpose of creating a record that is available to the general public in a hard copy format and on the Internet in an electronic format pursuant to Section 27 of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.M.56 as amended. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Office of the Town Clerk, Town of Whitby, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, ON, L1N 2M8.
Documents and Resources
All the document and resources associated with Port Whitby Secondary Plan update, Community Improvement Plan and Urban Design Guidelines are provided below.
- Planning Report, PL 12-12 - Proposed Terms of Reference; February 13, 2012
- Operations Report, CS 72-12 - Selection of Consultant; September 10, 2012
- Planning Report, PL 70-12 - Overview of Project / Community Meeting; November 5, 2012
- Planning Report, PL 12-13 - Summary of December 5, 2012 Community Meeting
- Planning Report, PL 24-13 - Overview of Phase 1: Technical Background Study
- Planning Report PL 37-13 - Overview of Project / Community Meeting April 8, 2013
- Planning Report PL 57-13 - Summary of April 24, 2013, Community Meeting No. 2
- Planning Report PL 91-13 - The Plan for Port Whitby - Phase 2: Draft Preferred Land Use Plan
- Planning Report PL 88-15 - Draft Official Plan Amendment, Draft Community Plan, Draft Urban Design Guidelines - Introductory Public Meeting Report
- Planning Report PL 81-16 - Recommended Official Plan Amendment Port Whitby Community Secondary Plan
- Planning Report PL PL 45-18 - Recommended Port Whitby Community Improvement Plan
- Planning and Development Committee; February 13, 2012 (PL 12-12)
- Council, March 5, 2012 (PL 12-12)
- Operations Committee; September 10, 2012 (CS 72-12)
- Council; September 17, 2012 (CS 72-12)
- Planning and Development Committee, November 5 2012 (PL 70-12)
- Council, November 19, 2012 (PL 70-12)
- Planning and Development Committee, February 19, 2013 (PL 12-13)
- Council, March 11, 2013 (PL 12-13)
- Planning and Development Committee, March 18, 2013 (PL 24-13)
- Planning and Development Committee, November 9, 2015 (PL 88-15)
- Council, November 23, 2015 (PL 88-15)
- Planning and Development Committee, June 23, 2016 (PL 81-16)
- Council, June 27, 2016 (PL 81-16)
- Planning and Development Committee, June 11, 2018 (PL 45-18)
- Council, June 27, 2018 (PL 45-18)
Community MeetingSummary Reports
Community Meeting No. 2 Material
Phase 1 TechnicalBackground Study - February 26, 2013
Port Whitby Sustainable Community Plan
Information regarding the previous and separate project for the Sustainable Community Plan is available on the following page:
Port Whitby Sustainable Community Plan