Public Participation at Statutory Public Planning Meetings



What is a statutory public planning meeting?

A statutory public meeting is held under the Planning Act for certain types of planning applications, and is conducted outside of the Standing Committee and Council format. Public meetings will be held approximately once per month for the purpose of providing the public with information and to receive submissions regarding development applications which can be considered and reviewed by Staff and applicants prior to Council consideration of applications. Public meetings are open to the public and provide an opportunity for individuals in attendance to provide feedback on the matters being discussed.

When is the next statutory public planning meeting?

The next statutory public planning meeting will be held on January 13, 2020 to consider Planning Applications.  Additional information will be provided once it becomes available.

Staff reports with additional details regarding planning applications are generally published one week prior to the meeting date. Planning public meeting agendas with staff reports can be found on the Town's CivicWeb portal.

What time do public meetings start?

Public meetings are scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. As several public meetings may be held prior to the public meeting for the application that is of interest to you, please note that your public meeting may start later than 7:00 p.m.

Who is present from the Town at public meetings?

Public meetings are chaired by a Member of Council appointed as the Planning Chair by the Mayor. Staff from the Planning and Development Department will be in attendance to provide information regarding applications and hear feedback provided. The Office of the Town Clerk captures all feedback received in the public meeting minutes to provide a written record for Staff and Council. Members of Council may be in attendance at public meetings to hear feedback, but they do not sit in their seats on the dais in Council Chambers or participate in discussion.  

Can anyone participate, or do you have to register in advance to speak at a public meeting?

Individuals wishing to make a delegation at a public meeting do not need to register ahead of the meeting and all those in attendance who wish to speak will be provided with the opportunity.

It is strongly recommended that neighbourhood groups or community associations appoint one spokesperson to make their delegation.

How much time do I have to make my delegation?

In accordance with the Town’s Procedure By-law, each delegate has up to five (5) minutes to provide their input.

What is appropriate conduct for delegations/presentations?

Delegations/presentations shall not:

  • speak disrespectfully of any person;
  • use offensive words;
  • speak on any subject other than the application to which the public meeting pertains; or,
  • enter into debate with other delegates/presenters, Town Staff, or the Chair.

What is the format for a public meeting?

  1. Town Staff will provide a brief overview of the application;
  2. The applicant or their representative may appear and provide information regarding the application;
  3. Members of the public and/or stakeholders in attendance and wishing to speak may make an oral submission;
  4. The Chair may call on the applicant and/or Staff to provide clarification on matters raised by members of the public and/or stakeholders.

How can I provide my input?

You can provide your input in person at statutory public meetings. If you are unable to attend a public meeting, you can also submit comments by email to or in writing to the Planning and Development Department, Town of Whitby, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, Ontario, L1N 2M8 (please quote the appropriate file number(s)).

When will the Staff reports be available?

If you wish to receive notification when the Town has posted the agendas and Staff reports for statutory public planning meetings on the Town’s website, you can subscribe to receive an e-update by email, by selecting “Public Meetings” at

How can I receive further notification related to an application?

If you wish to receive further notification from the Planning and Development Department regarding a particular application, please send your request, including your name, address, postal code and email address, by email to or in writing to the Planning and Development Department, Town of Whitby, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, Ontario, L1N 2M8 (please quote the appropriate file number(s)).

How can I receive additional information related to an application?

For additional information relating to an application, including information about preserving your appeal rights, please contact the Planning and Development Department, Level 7, Whitby Town Hall, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, ON, L1N 2M8, during regular working hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You may contact the Planning and Development Department at 905.430.4306, fax 905.668.7812 or by email

What are my appeal rights?

If a person or public body does not make an oral submission at a public meeting or make a written submission to the Town of Whitby before a decision is made, the person or public body is not entitled to appeal the decision of Whitby Council to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal and may not be added as a party to the hearing of an appeal before the Tribunal unless, in the opinion of the Tribunal, there are reasonable grounds to add the person or public body as a party. Written submissions should be made to the Office of the Town Clerk, Town of Whitby, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby ON, L1N 2M8 or by email to

Personal information from those that make either an oral or written submission on an application is collected under the authority of the Planning Act R.S.O. 1990 and the applicable implementing Ontario Regulation, and will become part of the public record for the application. Questions about the collection of personal information should be directed to the Office of the Town Clerk, Town of Whitby, 575 Rossland Road East, Whitby, ON, L1N 2M8, by email to or 905.430.4315. 

What should I do if I have supplemental information or presentation materials?

Anyone looking to provide handouts or use electronic materials (e.g. PowerPoint) at a public meeting must provide all information to the Office of the Town Clerk by noon the Friday prior to the meeting. The format of electronic materials must be compatible with the Town’s audio/video systems and you will be notified if another format is required. Anyone using electronic materials must be prepared to run the presentation slides on their own with the use of a remote that will be provided at the delegation table. If there are any other visual aids that require operation outside of the use of the provided remote, delegates must ensure they bring someone with them to operate the equipment.